If you are hosting a Records and Information Management (RIM) event, you can have the event pre-approved for Certification Maintenance Credits (CMP) from the Institute of Certified Records Managers. You can use pre-certified events as a marketing tool to attract CRAs and CRMs to the event. You, as the host will provide us with qualifying content and duration, and the CRA or CRM (when requesting the credits) will only be required to document attendance.
In order to be pre-approved, the events must meet the following criteria:
- Related to the Records & Information Management profession and examination outline, which can be found here. The outline includes the following major topics:
- Management Principles and the Records and Information (RIM) Program;
- Records and Information: Creation and Use, Compliance, Risk, Information Security, eDiscovery, etc.;
- Records Systems, Storage and Retrieval;
- Records Appraisal, Retention, Protection and Disposition;
- At least 45 minutes in length (note: monthly ARMA or other professional organization chapter meeting or educational presentations are not generally pre-approved. CRAs and CRMs submit for CMP credits individually)
- Host must provide attendees with proof of attendance
Documentation needs to be submitted for a pre-approval request. This includes:
- Activity title and description. You may also include the activity outline
- Clear timeline for the activity including session titles, session times, breaks, etc.
- Contact information for the request
If you would like to apply for pre-certification of an activity, please complete the Activity Credit Pre-Approval Request by clicking on this link. Once finished, submit the supporting documentation to the ICRM Administrative Office for the event.
Please allow 3-4 weeks to process your pre-approval request.
If you are a current CRA or CRM and need to complete one of the relevant Certification Maintenance forms to request credit for a relevant educational event that you have already attended, there is a separate process and you will need to Log in (using the field in the top right of your screen, if you haven’t already done so) and go to Credit Requests under View Personal Details on the ICRM Website.