The ICRM is a non-profit 501 (c) 6 organization run by an elected, volunteer Board of Regents. Certified Records Managers (CRMs) and Certified Records Analysts (CRA) are professionals in the field of records and information management (RIM) from a growing number of countries who assist in the development of professionalism in records and information management (RIM), and the promotion of the value of certification for records managers. They share their experience and knowledge by participating in ICRM committees and through writing, teaching, and speaking.
CRMs receive the CRM designation by meeting both educational and work experience certification requirements established by the ICRM and by passing a six part examination (Parts 1-6) the required examinations. CRAs receive the CRA designation by meeting both educational and work experience certification requirements established by the ICRM and by passing a three part examination (Parts 2-4).
Upon successfully passing all required exams, the Candidate is a Member of the ICRM.
The annual membership fee is $200.00 (USD) for Active CRMs and Active CRAs. The annual membership fee is $15.00 (USD) for Retired CRMs and Retired CRAs.
Responsibilities of Certification
To remain a member of the ICRM in good standing, and thereby authorized to use the professional designation of “Certified Records Manager”/“CRM” or “Certified Records Analyst”/”CRA”, a person who is certified must meet the requirements set forth by the Board of Regents, including:
- Conform to the requirements set by the ICRM Certification Maintenance Program.
- Conform to the ICRM Code of Ethics
- Payment of any fees
The Board may, by two-thirds vote of the Regents present and voting, revoke the certification and the membership of any member of the ICRM that the Board determines is not in good standing.
Benefits of ICRM Membership
The Institute shall be composed of individuals who have been certified by the Board of Regents. Members in good standing holding the CRM certification (both CRM-Active and CRM-Retired) or the CRA certification (both CRA-Active and CRA-Retired):
- Have the right to vote in all elections held by the Institute of Certified Records Managers (ICRM)
- May be elected to serve on the Board of Regents (CRM-Active only)
- May serve on Committees
- Are entitled to attend the ICRM Business Meeting and ICRM Reception held annually at the ARMA Conference
- Receive the ICRM Newsletter, ProfessioNotes
- Gain access to the secured ICRM website where members can:
- Search and obtain contact information on fellow members in the “Membership Directory”
- Search for “Upcoming Activities” for education opportunities to earn CMPs
- Submit Certification Maintenance Points (CMPs)
- Apply for Pre-Approved CMPs for eligible activities and events
- Access volunteer opportunities such as Exam Grading (to earn additional CMPs towards certification)
Both CRM and CRA Candidates may:
- Receive the ICRM Newsletter, ProfessioNotes
- Attend the ICRM Business Meeting and ICRM Reception held annually at the ARMA Conference
Members in the retired category are no longer actively involved in professional records management work. They may or may not continue to be employed in another field. Members receive all benefits entitled to retired members. They may use the “CRM-Retired” or “CRA-Retired” designation. This membership category is for members who are truly retired from the work force and do not derive any financial gain from working in or teaching RIM or who may be working in another field and continue to want the CRA or CRM designation.
Retired Members pay annual membership dues of $15.00 USD. No CMP points are required for this category of membership.
If a CRA or CRM’s membership has lapsed (membership dues have lapsed, CMPs were insufficient at the end of the five-year CMP cycle, or the CRM is retired for five or more years), reinstatement of the designation to active status can be accomplished by completing the following process:
- The Member must complete a “Reinstatement Application” (ICRM Form 6) and submits it along with the $100.00 USD fee to the ICRM.
- Once accepted, the status becomes a Reinstatement Candidate and he/she must take and pass the required part(s) of the examination (Part 6 for CRMs, and Parts 2-4 for CRAs) within 5 years of applying for reinstatement. The Reinstatement Candidate must register for the exam and pay the exam fee however many times required to pass the required part(s) (Part 6 for CRMs, and Parts 2-4 for CRAs).
- Upon passing the required part(s) of the examination (Part 6 for CRMs, and Parts 2-4 for CRAs), the Reinstatement Candidate pays the annual active membership dues (if after June 30, dues is pro-rated) with credit for any retired membership dues already paid.
- The Certification Maintenance Program 5-year cycle starts the following January 1st or July 1st depending on the date of passing the final part of examination required (Part 6 for CRMs, and Parts 2-4 for CRAs).
If a CRA or CRM has been retired for fewer than five years, reinstatement of the designation to active status can be accomplished by one of the following process:
- The Member must complete a “Reinstatement Application” (ICRM Form 6) and submit it along with the $100.00 (USD) fee to the ICRM.
- The Member pays the annual active membership dues (if after June 30, dues is pro-rated) with credit for any retired membership dues already paid.
- The certification maintenance cycle picks up where it left off when the member retired.
- For example, if the CRM Member retired with 65 hours and 3 years remaining in his/her CMP cycle, then the new cycle will begin with a total of 65 hours with 3 years remaining.
- If the CRM Member retired in the last year of his/her CMP cycle with 18 hours, then the newly Active CRM Reinstated Member will have one year to earn 82 hours.
These reinstatement procedures and requirements are established to provide a way for a member to become active again and eliminate the ambiguity of how to go about this process. If you have any questions about membership categories or reinstatement procedures, please contact the ICRM.